For many, the career exploration process is one simple step... find a new job. While this may work for some, an effective career exploration process includes steps that will ensure you select a career that will compliment your personal and professional career aspirations.
- Step 1 - Self Assessment
It's estimated that the average person will spend over 80,000 hours of their life working. The career path you choose will have a big impact on almost every aspect of your life. So choose your career wisely! But where do you begin? How do you choose a career when you don't know what you're even interested in? The first step to the career exploration process is developing a thorough understanding of your interests, aptitudes, skills, personality and preferences. This is known as self assessment, or in the context of your career, a "career assessment".
- Step 2 - Identify Careers
Once you've taken the time, and put forth the effort, to perform a thorough self assessment, it's time to start developing a list of potentially satisfying career options. At this stage of the game you should have a good idea of the types of careers you consider, and those you should not. Make an exhaustive list of occupations that fit with your skills, interests, aptitudes, personality, preferences, and personal and professional goals. Thoroughly investigate each career, reviewing education requirements, job duties, earnings and employment outlook. Now narrow your list down to just a few options for futher consideration.
- Step 3 - Develop a Strategy
Now it time to develop a strategy and put a plan into action that will help you realize your professional and occupational goals–and find a job. You may not be entirely certain which specific career your going to obtain, but you'll have narrowed your search down to a specific discipline and career field to being your job search. You strategy should include obtaining any training required to qualify for your desired position, networking, resume development, developing a personal brand and how you're going to engage potential employers.
Career Exploration Tools and ResourcesWhether you're a seasoned professional considering a career change, a student searching for your first job, or a job-seeker pursuing a new job the career exploration websites and resources listed below will help you make a successful and lasting transition.
- Career Assessment - discover tools, tests and resources that can help you understand how your personal interests, skills, aptitudes, preference and personality influence your potential for success and satisfaction in various careers and occupations.
- Career Research Checklist - review a comprehensive list of tips and strategies for research potential careers and employment opportunities including job shadowing, temping, career fairs, informational interviewing and professional networking, among others.
- Selecting the Right Career Path- how do you select the right career path? Explore suggestions and strategies for making sure the career path you choose is the right one. Learn how to evaluate your interests, conduct research, and find the best fit for you.
- Before Choosing a Career - review 7 vital steps every person should take before making a final career decision. This article will help career searchers narrow down their list of potential career options and prepare for employment opportunities.
- Planning for Career Success- real career success if most often achieved through successful planning. Review 11 key elements of a successful career plan and get your career search off on right foot.
- Career Fields and Occupations - explore and learn about thousands of careers and occupations. Find information on employment outlook, salary, job descriptions, work environment, employment statistics, and education and training requirements.
Submit a Resource